I did the outline of everything and manged to complete the base. It had not been raining for a while and the grass was dry. The differentiation in the colour of the grass made it quite a tedious task to paint accurately. That explained why I took so long to reach this level of completion. An accomplished artist would have painted the entire scene in one sitting. Since I was only beginning to grasp the concepts of tones and shades, I was satisfied with this state of the painting at that point in time.
I returned to the park on my own a few weeks later and spent another 4 hours to complete the painting but it still needed a finishing touch. I felt that I did not manage to capture the correct lighting as what I had was rather gloomy considering that I had painted on sunny mornings. Over the next few months I tried unsuccessfully to paint on site. I returned to the park on 3 occasions but events prevented me from setting foot into the park. On the first occasion, I had packed everything I needed into the car and on arrival found that I had forgotten to bring along the painting - signs of oncoming dementia! On the second occasion, my husband had a call about some urgent business at work and we had to turn back. On the last occasion, I drove to the park on my own only to find that the road leading to it was barricaded because there was some kind of a fitness run - control, control...I was really upset and the policeman who was re-directing traffic pretended not to notice.
So here it is - the painting that resisted further work on it after the second painting. Exasperated by my failed efforts to paint at the park, I did the final touching up at home with mixtures of yellow to give some indication of sunlight coming through - straight from my imagination.